Dr. Bhupesh Prusty
Positions and Employment:
- 2014-present: Group leader, Department of Microbiology (University of Würzburg); Faculty member at Graduate School of Life Sciences (University of Würzburg)
- 2009 - 2014: Senior post doctoral researcher with Prof. Thomas Rudel, Department of Microbiology, University of Würzburg, Germany
- 2006 - 2008: Post doctoral researcher with Prof. Harald zur Hausen, German Cancer Research Centre (DKFZ), Germany
- 2000 - 2007: Ph.D. Biosciences, Institute of Cytology & Preventive Oncology, Indian Council for Medical Research, Noida, India and Jamia Milia Islamia University, New Delhi, India
- 1996 - 1998: M.Sc. Zoology, G .M. College (Autonomous), Sambalpur University, India
- 1993 - 1996: B.Sc. Hons Zoology, G .M. College (Autonomous), Sambalpur University, India
Recent Grants and Awards:
- 2014 - 2016: Volkswagen Stiftung, Germany (Grant number 88773) for Eur 100,000. Latent Human Herpes Virus - 6: functionally dormant but not extinct - a hidden ‘transposon’ awaiting the ideal trigger? Sole applicant.
- 2015 - 2016: HHV - 6 Foundation, USA (Pilot grant) for Eur 20,000. Developing a novel and cost effective cell culture based system for high throughput screening of drugs for their potential to reactivate latent, chromosomally integrated HHV - 6. Sole applicant.
- 2014 - 2017: Bundesministerium für Bildung und Forschung (BMBF), Germany (Grant number 031A409B ). Co-infection as a cause of ovarian cancer (CINOCA)” as a part of ERA - NET Infect - ERA. Co-investigator (PI: Prof. Thomas Rudel)
Prusty AB, Meduri R, Prusty BK, Vanselow J, Schlosser A, Fischer U. (2017) Impaired spliceosomal UsnRNP assembly leads to Sm mRNA down-regulation and Sm protein degradation. J Cell Biol. doi: 10.1083/jcb.201611108. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed
Fischer A, Harrison KS, Ramirez Y, Auer D, Chowdhury SR, Prusty BK, Sauer F, Dimond Z, Kisker C, Scott Hefty P, Rudel T. (2017) Chlamydia trachomatis-containing vacuole serves as deubiquitination platform to stabilize Mcl-1 and to interfere with host defense. Elife. 6. pii: e21465. PubMed
Chowdhury SR, Reimer A, Sharan M, Kozjak-Pavlovic V, Eulalio A, Prusty BK, Fraunholz M, Karunakaran K, Rudel T. (2017) Chlamydia preserves the mitochondrial network necessary for replication via microRNA-dependent inhibition of fission. J Cell Biol. 216(4):1071-1089 PubMed
- Das BB, Rakheja D, Lacelle C, Sedlak RH, Gulve N, Chowdhury SR, Prusty BK. (2016) Possible Progesterone-induced Gestational Activation of ciHHV-6B and Transplacental Transmission of Activated HHV-6B. J Heart Lung Transplant. 35(11):1373-1376. PubMed
- Gulve N, Kimmerling K, Johnston AD, Krueger GR, Ablashi DV, Prusty BK. (2016) Anti-herpesviral effects of a novel broad range anti-microbial quaternary ammonium silane, K21. Antiviral Res. 131:166-73. PubMed
- Das BB, Prusty BK. (2016) Clinical Relevance of Detection of HHV-6 by PCR DNA Test in the Blood for Diagnosing Myocarditis.Pediatr Cardiol. 37(2):429-30. PubMed
- Stefanski HE, Thibert KA, Pritchett J, Prusty BK, Wagner JE, Lund TC. (2016) Fatal Myocarditis Associated With HHV-6 Following Immunosuppression in Two Children. Pediatrics. 137(1). doi: 10.1542/peds.2015-1352. PubMed
- Herweg JA, Hansmeier N, Otto A, Geffken AC, Subbarayal P, Prusty BK, Becher D, Hensel M, Schaible UE, Rudel T, Hilbi H. (2015) Purification and proteomics of pathogen-modified vacuoles and membranes. Front Cell Infect Microbiol. 5:48. PubMed
- Prusty BK, Siegl C, Gulve N, Mori Y, Rudel T. (2014) GP96 Interacts with HHV-6 during Viral Entry and Directs It for Cellular Degradation. PLoS One 9(12):e113962. PubMed
- Siegl C, Prusty BK, Karunakaran K, Wischhusen J, Rudel T. (2014) Tumor Suppressor p53 Alters Host Cell Metabolism to Limit Chlamydia trachomatis Infection. Cell Rep. 9(3):918-29. PubMed
- Prusty BK, Krohne G, Rudel T. (2013) Reactivation of chromosomally integrated human herpesvirus-6 by telomeric circle formation. PLoS Genet. 9(12):e1004033. Pub Med
- Prusty BK, Siegl C, Hauck P, Hain J, Korhonen SJ, Hiltunen-Back E, Puolakkainen M, Rudel T. (2013) Chlamydia trachomatis infection induces replication of latent HHV-6. PLoS One 8(4):e61400. PubMed
- Prusty BK, Böhme L, Bergmann B, Siegl C, Krause E, Mehlitz A, Rudel T. (2012) Imbalanced Oxidative Stress Causes Chlamydial Persistence during Non-Productive Human Herpes Virus Co-Infection. PLoS One 7(10):e47427. PubMed
- Prusty BK, Karlas A, Meyer TF, Rudel T. (2011) Genome-wide RNAi screen for viral replication in mammalian cell culture. Methods Mol Biol. 721:383-95. PubMed
- Prusty BK, zur Hausen H, Schmidt R, Kimmel R, de Villiers EM. (2008) Transcription of HERV-E and HERV-E-related sequences in malignant and non-malignant human haematopoietic cells. Virology. 382(1):37-45. PubMed
- Pande S, Jain N, Prusty BK, Bhambhani S, Gupta S, Sharma R, Batra S, Das BC. (2008) Human papillomavirus type 16 variant analysis of E6, E7, and L1 genes and long control region in biopsy samples from cervical cancer patients in north India. J Clin Microbiol. 46(3):1060-6. PubMed
- Prusty BK, Hedau S, Singh A, Kar P, Das BC. (2007) Selective suppression of NF-kBp65 in hepatitis virus-infected pregnant women manifesting severe liver damage and high mortality. Mol Med. 13(9-10):518-26. PubMed
- Sinha S, Srivastava R, Prusty BK, Das BC, Singh RK (2007) Some Novel Adenosine Mimics: Synthesis and Anticancer Potential against Cervical Cancer caused by Human Papilloma Virus. Nucleosides Nucleotides Nucleic Acids 26(6): 773-777.
- Gupta A, Arora R, Gupta S, Prusty BK, Kailash U, Batra S, Das BC. (2006) Human papillomavirus DNA in urine samples of women with or without cervical cancer and their male partners compared with simultaneously collected cervical/penile smear or biopsy specimens. J Clin Virol. 37(3):190-4. PubMed
- Prusty BK, Husain SA, Das BC. (2005) Constitutive activation of nuclear factor -kB: preferntial homodimerization of p50 subunits in cervical carcinoma. Front Biosci. 10:1510-9. PubMed
- Prusty BK, Das BC. (2005) Constitutive activation of transcription factor AP-1 in cervical cancer and suppression of human papillomavirus (HPV) transcription and AP-1 activity in HeLa cells by curcumin. Int J Cancer. 113(6):951-60. PubMed
- Prusty BK, Kumar A, Arora R, Batra S, Das BC. (2005) Human Papillomavirus DNA detection in self-collected urine. International Journal of Gynecology & Obstetrics 90(3):223-7.
- Arora R, Kumar A, Prusty BK, Kailash U, Batra S, Das BC. (2005) Prevalence of high-risk Human Papillomavirus (HPV) types 16 & 18 in healthy women with inflammatory Pap smears. European Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology and Reproductive Biology 121(1):104-9.